Sunday, October 29, 2006

three minutes

Thank you for making me less lonely, stranger.
Your face is not familiar, and your eyes are cold as ice.
But the three-minute small talks save my sanity.
And you're nameless, you're ageless, lifeless even.
I just need a solid figure to sit with.
You read the morning paper, and I smile at the headlines.
Nothing special, but let's make something of them.
There is no party tonight, we're going home to a quiet house.
Might as well make noise now before we go.
Tell me anything I will remember before I sleep.
Distract me with trivias and make me solve equations.
Tell me about how hard you work and how lovely your dinner was.
I'd rather believe you than tell you lies.
Show me your ring and tell me who gave it.
Tell me where you shop and tell me what colors you like.
Tell me why you hate that colleague of yours who just walked past us.
I am hungry for some noise. Talk talk talk until time is up.
We go back to our desks and wish each other luck.
I know you don't understand but that's enough.
You save me every morning for three minutes.

No comments: