Sunday, October 22, 2006

IMMORTALITY


Immortality by Milan Kundera is a good read.
The book mentions that immortality is eternal trial, thatsomeone is immortal if he is judged and remembered by even after he dies. But Kundera points out that there are several kinds of immortality: minor, great, ridiculous.

Minor immortality is for people who never had the chance to become famous before they died, but are still fondly remembered by family, friends, and their community. Great immortality is for the (surprise) the great people who lived to be known to mankind, like Beethoven, Sheikh Zayed, even Ninoy Aquino. People remember them, their principles, their works. Ridiculous immortality, in my opinion, is the most interesting kind. It's for people who have no choice but to be remembered not exactly in a bad light, but in (surprise again) ridiculous situations. And while they are still alive, they are considered dead men walking, on the way to their graves wih a big L on their foreheads.

And since I have always been taught to think BIG, I want to possess the best kind of immortality there is. And with all due respect to Mr. Kundera, I have a different definition of GREAT immortality. I don't mind if only one person remembers me after I depart, as long that someone believes in my greatness, and loves me for me, loves me so much that I can still feel it when he visits my grave, and truly cares for me. In quantity that would not even be immortality. But who cares about numbers when love, non-quantifiable but priceless, is assured even after death?

If that person doesn't ever show up, I might as well be greatly immortal based on Mr. Kundera's standards. That's not so bad.

No comments: