Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Small talk

Have you gone on a holiday lately?

No.

You should go to the Philippines. The beaches are really nice.

Yeah I think I'll go there next time.

Yeah, you'll have lots of fun. Can't wait to go home.

You have to take me there. Let's go together. Show me around.

I'd love to. . . yeah you'll enjoy it.

How many time have I had this conversation? And with how many people?
And how many of them really meant that?
Surely not all of them. Then I'd have to take all of them to the Philippines?
Maybe a select few, but who? Too much small talk, too much beating around the bush.

What makes you think I'll be more than happy to take you there, we've just met!
And you just don't know how many people I've committed to tour around Manila,
and if you did you'd probably think I'd set up a travel agency to accommodate everyone.

What's with all the small talk? Why do that, when you can just tell me everything you've been so afraid to discuss. Doesn't matter if we've just met. Tell me you still wet your bed on really bad nights. Tell me you've been dumped. Newsflash: I will listen, and won't run away.

Small talks used to be very convenient. Safe, unbiased, always on a light note.
Well, it's getting old and it's time to cut the crap and tell me what you're all about.

And well, if visiting my country has really been a genuine plan and you're really passionate about it, then let's go together. Brace yourself because I'm really taking you with me.

No comments: