Friday, October 27, 2006

crisis management


Alone for most of the day, but kind of enjoyed the solitude.
I took a long walk on Sheikh Zayed and on the way home did my groceries.
Very peaceful, actually.
Watched Bridget Jones 2 The Edge of Reason in the evening after dinner.
No one wanted to watch it with me so I figured it would be perfect to watch it while no one was home. In the middle of the movie Colin and his friend came, in, and I endured the embarrassment of being caught watching it with so much gusto. Well I couldn't help but laugh out loud and groan and express my excitement ("oh shit what happens next?" eventhough I've seen it before) in the form of loud happy burps.
I didn't like the ending though. Wedding. They didn't even live together?

Oh yeah I forgot one teeny weeny detail about my day.
I almost set the kitchen on fire.
I was just frying some chicken and I set the heat on low, and then suddenly my lunch burst in flames and . . . well I didn't know what to do!
I desperately tried to think of something, and I cried for help, but well I had sore throat because I was out partying last night so my voice was a bit croaky.
Not that there was anyone to hear me even if my cry for help was perfectly done.
I turned off the heat (yeah I thought of that, thank you) and I tossed my chicken up in the air like a crepe, and the flames multiplied and I thought I might actually end up in jail for arson. Lucky me the fire decided it was too much entertainment, and it retreated and eventually disappeared. I have no idea why I tossed the chicken in the first place.

And that urged me to think that I might need to improve my crisis management skills.
There are situations that in theory, I am perfectly familiar with, but when I find myself in them I just don't know what to do, or rather I do what I feel like doing at that moment. Call it impulsive, call it stupid, but I do them with the intention to fix everything at once and come out alive and stronger.
Unfortunately, that hasn't always been the case, and so to keep things simple I just tell everyone that I am a big fan of spontaneity, win or lose.

To painfully elaborate, I commit serious errors because I act very quickly, because I feel very strongly about the situation. I want to save the villa, so I try some fire-fighting chicken-tossing technique, but if I couldn't care less I would have walked out of the house and taken a walk. I want to make myself heard, so I send out an angry email, because I seriously care. Otherwise I would have walked away and taken a walk. See? Serious screw-ups equal serious concern.

But back to my point, I found another loophole in my personality and I want to eliminate it. Will definitely start to work on my crisis management skills, because unless Colin conducts a firedrill soon, no one will initiate it for me. No one but me. Hasn't it always been like that?
Because it should always be like that.

No comments: