Saturday, October 21, 2006

ADS spice to life

I'm currently taking advantage of the extra time that Eid has given me.
Online tutorials on copywriting aren't that bad. I read lots of sites on the net and I have a pen and a notebook to write down important details.
I took up advertising but not extensively, plus I didn't have the money to buy the books that my advertising instructor had asked us to buy.
But now, though still not willing to shell out hundreds of dirhams for advertising books, I have all the time in the world to read on it for free.
Of course everything is better learned through experience, but until the opportunity for some hands-on brainstorming action comes up, I'm doing my homework.

So we all know that copywriting is a much more creative type of salesmanship. To ultimate goal is to sell a product --- or to be more specific, sell the benefits of a product. And of course, let's not forget my experience as a brainstormer, that really made me understand the concept of the ever-important Unique Selling Point.

I've seen too many billboards fighting over one another on EDSA, and huge, STURDY ones here on Sheikh Zayed, and I can see how culture really plays a role in everything we do, not just in advertising. In fact, advertising takes into consideration the cultural nature of a society. Of course. And because culture dictates what can and cannot be shown/said on these billboards, which millions will get to read and maybe believe, it is always a pleasant surprse to take a look at another society and see how they are doing with their own ads.

http://www.adage.com/shared/includes/spotwin.html?vid=carlsjr-baby05.asf
Not a poster/billbaord, but much more interesting. This ad is obviously very American, in the sense that it disregards values that some citizens may possess for the sake of freedom of expression and business. It shows the ultrasound view of a pregnant mom, with the fetus complaining about how his mom eats too many Jalapeno burgers everyday. He kicks around the inside the uterus and plays with the umbilical cord, and grabs a part of the uterus, as if threatening to burst out into the world. He even tells his mom about his friend Ned who was born BRIGHT RED because his momma ate spicy foods all the time while still pregnant with him. "The new Carl's Jr. Spicy Six-Dollar Burger with crispy jalapenos. It ain't for babies." Values aside, it's funny. Watch it.

http://www.kottke.org/plus/misc/kiwi_dogfood.html
Check out this site and you'll the most sexist dog food ads in the world. I don't know if New Zealand has mainly patriarchal beliefs or just very open to these kinds of ads, but they certainly make dogs look like pigs. I really don't care. But man, I'd hate to be the poor cat in this poster. . .



I love pussy. I chase pussy. Heck, I even dream about pussy.

But I just can't bring myself to eat it.


And here are some loonies cracking me up since I've taken a break from this self-imposed course: http://www.anvari.org/fun/Funny_Billboard_Ads/

Enjoy!

No comments: