Saturday, July 01, 2006

Instant noodles and reality shows

Last night, after one Martini with my mom's friends, I decided to ditch work today and do nothing. N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

I woke up, went downstairs to smell that oh-so-familiar aroma in the kitchen.... instant noodles, the cheapest at Hyperpanda, the kind that reminded me why I had to look for a better job and keep pushing my career plan to chase time. I will not, I repeat, I WILL NOT have Koka instant noodles for breakfast for the rest of my life. Colin's wheat bread helped me elevate myself a little from poverty, and the Cheez Whiz I spread on it simply made me miss home. "God I miss home..." And then I snapped out of my home sickness when I poured the noodles from the pot to the bowl. "Now I'll eat this crap and not crave sandwich spread from the Philippines, because tomorrow I will have a career, and I will buy that company that manufactures Cheez Whiz." I swear, Koka makes you dumb and illogical.

Amused myself more when I proceeded to the living room to find Fifi screaming her empty intestines out while watching the reality show The Bachelorette. So girl chose guy1 and guy2 looked like a complete idiot on TV, never mind the fact that he looked stunning in a gray suit. But soon girl and guy1 made a scene on TV (which was good for ratings, but bad for the brain) --- girl dumped guy1 and said they were not cut out to be with each other, and poor guy1 held the engagement ring in his hands like it was her hymen, crushing it and (just a guess) wishing she would turn out to have a penis, that way he wouldn't have to look so pitiful, even if that would make him look more stupid than guy2. Lucky guy2. NOT! I think they're all dumb and wishing they had not agreed to participate in a reality show that played with people's feelings. They're now messed up, but wealthier I suppose, and well, maybe, ultimately, that was all that mattered. Never mind the broken hearts, throw 'em out the window and buy a luxury car or upgrade your small apartment and appear in magazines and showbiz talk shows.

By this time the noodles were finished. All those artificial shit absorbed by my body, and that was the reason I hung around to watch Who Wants to Marry My Dad. By now there were two women vying to be the wife of a hunky successful man, whose three daughters had all the power to choose who between Dolly Parton lookalike and evil-step-mom-looking contestant #2. Ooh, who would the girls choose? LIGHTBULB MOMENT. Why don't we subject them to a lie detector test. "Suzanne, have you fallen in love with our dad?" YES. Thumbs up. "Stacy, have you fallen in love with our dad?" YES. Thumbs up again. GOD. It's so hard to choose. "I know, let's ask Dad!" So they huddled somewhere in the woods with Dad and Dad expressed his feelings for one of the women, and the girls decided based on that. To cut the long senseless story short, the girls ended up choosing Stacy, the evil-looking but elegant woman. Bet she couldn't wait to be part of their family, not to mention the spotlight, and maybe, the last will and testament. IF they divorced, that could mean more cash flowing into her bank account. Clap calp clap. Brilliant job, producers.

By this time my head was aching and I was hungry for more Koka noodles. More more more reality shows too!!! Then I suddenly snapped out of it and stood up. That's it. I gestured to spit on Colin's entertainment system, but of course I wouldn't dare, as he just got a new plasma TV. "That's a load of bull shit. No two people end up that way, and maybe they're happy now, but give it a few more months and they'll go back to being their selfish, materialistic, jaded selves." And I cringed at the thought that I might have more KOka noodles for dinner.

It's good to dream. A nice man to take you by the arm and feed you gourmet food and never leave you, even feels upset if you mention anything about another man, even your dad. He'll propose and before you know it, you're sending ou wedding invitations and picking out a wedding dress. But if I had dreams like that, I'm afraid I wouldnt stop, I would be too happy frolicking on Fantasy Street that I'd forget to pass by I-Gotta-Get-A-Good-Job alley.

Oh Lord. (Smack my forehead) I totally forgot about the whole bran cereals and nonfat milk! Shit. Tomorrow I can have that for breakfast and let the Koka packs slumber in the cupboard, the I wouldn't have to slumber in cynical thoughts, and I'd pass that job interview. Thanks to good carbohydrates, I'd get a good job and start watching other TV programs, like CNN or National Geographic, and I would enjoy watching male hippo humping female hippo. Over bran cereals, not KOka noodles.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

haaay zeena.... as my friend Harvey would say... we all have our own cross to carry... mine has always been my fucked up heart. goddamit... I hate my taste in men... I wish I was promiscuous again!!! Hahahaha. I should've seen this coming... everytime I start it with my "I'm a virgin"-spiel with a guy I always end up getting hurt. ARGH! I'm not a virgin you stupid fuck!!! I should've just fucked you when I had a chance. I'm becoming delirious now!! =( talking to myself... I hate me.=(