Wednesday, January 17, 2007

work ethics and romance

Last night Sherry, Jen and I knew we were tired and penniless.
We knew. Of course we knew.
But we still managed to spend an hour or two together at Barzar, for some awesome tunes and even more awesome drinks at AED 70 for every FIVE drinks.
I had red wine as usual, and didn’t even finish it.
It’s nice to have drinks with girlfriends after work.
It really does make me feel less lonely and more motivated to work the next day.

I went home at 1130PM, took a hot shower and curled up in bed with a book.
Guilluame was pretty busy yesterday, so I didn’t really want to bother him.
One of their machines broke down because of faulty wiring (or something like that), their new flat still didn’t have electricity, and they were so tired from going around Dubai buying furniture and emptying their old flat and moving furniture from the old flat to the new one.
I put on my most comfortable clothes (a huge sweater, ratty panties, dirty socks and my balloon tapered pants), curled up in bed with a good book (something by Jodi Picoult), and soon I was snoring like a madman.
And then he called and said he wanted to drop by. In literally 10 minutes I fixed myself up --- got rid of my ugly sleepwear and put on a nice Mexican top and hoop earrings, and painted a permanent smile on my face.
I waited in the front yard until I saw his headlights flashing at 2:15 AM, eager to park in front of our villa.
I had a glass of Bailey’s ready for him, and he was so happy about that (what a drunkard, a lovely one). We had a long chat about work and he gave me some advice about work. And it’s not just some discussion of two jaded people telling each other why they hated working. It was him telling me to improve my work ethics and assert myself with a smile on my face, to always resolve conflicts without having to ruin good relations.
This morning I did just that. I apologized to my boss for failing to accomplish something. And he actually thanked me for it. And I made sure I got everything right today.
And I did, plus a few bonuses.
Of course I knew what good work ethics were before he even came along. But having him around to remind me of these things is such a big plus. IT pushes me and makes me do better and better and go forward, always forward.
My day was almost ruined when someone told me to stay out of something I was obviously needed for. He said it was none of my business. Which of course wasn’t true, as I was the one liaising the whole thing. I just said goodbye to him on the phone and didn’t bother to argue.
I think I owe this all to Guillaume. Knowing that he truly cares for me, not just in a shallow way -- like on a crepe-eating level --- really made me feel so much better and less tired…and HAPPIER.
I had 3 hours of sleep but in the morning the driver said I looked fresh.
Guess why?
My boyfriend’s an angel.
A drunken beautiful angel.
An angel with a funny accent.
An angel who adores cheeses.
An angel who makes crepes.
An angel. Sigh.

No comments: