Sunday, January 14, 2007

guten tag!

I had a meeting with a German lady today and she was very nice.
I was trying my best to say something nice because the meeting was over in five minutes. There wasn't much to discuss really.
So I tried to speak to her in German.
Wo wonen sie?
Ich habe das/die kugelschrieber.
Kartofelnsalad.
Whatever the spelling is.
I sounded so silly. I just blurt out some German words and thought they MIGHT make sense to her.
She giggled, because what I really said in one breath was:
"Where are you from? I have a pen. Potato salad."
Not quite a conversation.

Hang on. Hang on.
What if she really wanted to tell me where she lived?
What if she really needed a pen?
And what if she was, incidentally, craving potato salad?
I'm such an optimist.

Anyway it was a fun meeting, and Habtoor Grand's interiors were spectacular.
Classy, not tacky.
A nice place to have coffee.

Not without kartofelnsalad.

No comments: