Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Difference

Things just get better everyday, not because they're more romantic, but because you find out more about you and your partner and you realize that you're not all that different from each other.
He's white and French and a Sharjah resident, and I'm brown and Pinoy and a Dubai girl, but when we're together, we forget distance and stress at work and our skin colors.
We do discuss our differences and false beliefs of each other's cultures. I thought Europeans didn't shower and they went bald in their late twenties. He thought my ignorance was hilarious. He told me Filipinos were hard workers. And I said of course they were, that's why most first-world countries preferred Filipino maids, laborers and secretaries. But I told him that we weren't just about that. I showed him. Although cleaning his bathroom clutter and going as far as hanging a trash bag on the doorknob didn't quite reflect my skills as a media practitioner, he appreciated my efforts by driving me all the way to Media City before they headed off to Global Village, which was, in full fairness to his at-that-time irritable business partner Emanuel, lightyears away from Sharjah.
We had lunch with Sherry and I headed off to my office. I was lucky because I didn't really have to go to work, but I did, and I sort of hit two birds with one stone --- the first bird having spent some quality time with a lovely man in a chef's vest, and the second having shown good old enthusiasm at work.
So back to our discussion of differences. Actually there weren't that many, and they're not too important to strain what we have now. What we have now. Notice that I am careful with the words I choose. Yes, glad to know I'm still practicing self-control, when all I really want to tell the world is how much I want to spend all my time with him.
Like I imagine my desk having a crepe-making machine beside it, where Guillaume can make crepes while I happily do my research. Or on my way to work I picture us in a quaint cafe, me playing the guitar while he goes crazy with the bongos and a little ganja. Or even before I sleep I dream about being the best masseuse in the world so I could give him a good backrub before bedtime, and in return he'd turn out to be really good at doing facials.
Differences. I really don't know what it means right now.
Even if people stare at us when we go out for dirnks.
Even if I myself wonder what had brought us together.
Well he crepe-t is way into my life and that made a HUGE difference.
A wonderful one.

No comments: