Thursday, January 18, 2007

theme song trauma

I’ve been in a few relationships and I truly treasured them.
One of the things I always remember about being in a relationship with someone is our theme song.
I’ve had the craziest (translation – tacky, funky, disgusting) theme songs with a few guys and looking back, I don’t even know why I agreed to them
They always decided on this matter. And I always ended up accepting the imposed tune, then bobbing my head to it, and eventually singing and loving it.

My first theme song was True by Spandau Ballet. It seemed okay then, because my first boyfriend was an 80’s baby. Now I feel reluctant to sing it in karaoke bars, however tempted I am. I opt for Gold. I I don’t know, I just feel that it belongs in the past and I am not supposed to sing it.

Now get this: my second theme song was…chanchararan! Ever After by Bonnie Bailey. Hahaha I know, everyone used to dance to this --- whores, shy girls, yuppies, druggies. I know I know! But my second boyfriend was a junkie (I think). And he’s a little younger than my first.

And there were in-between-relationship crushes, and I associated them with certain songs that I would rather not mention here. OK just to give you an idea- Cater To You, Penny and Me, Agent Orange (because I had a HUGE crush on Slapshock's drummer), Luha by Aegis etc etc.

This time I don’t really want a theme song. Maybe I do. Maybe I don’t. I don’t know. Maybe theme songs are just a Pinoy thing? Maybe Guillaume doesn’t really care for things like this. Maybe he wants to have a crepe with me and hum any tune that suits the evening. He did sing the Grease theme song once, but as a joke.

Anyway if by some chance the Dubai police forced me to choose a theme song for me and Guillaume it would be any of these two:

CLOSER by Dido
The closer you get, the better I feel
The closer you are, the more I see
Why everyone says that I look happy
When you’re around
The closer you get, the better I feel


THE ONE by Shakira
So I find a reason to shave my legs each single morning
So I count on someone Friday nights to take me dancing againTo church on sundays
To plant more trees and someday think of kids
Or maybe just to save a little money


Somehow this entry ends up mushy.
I tried my best, believe me.

No comments: