Sunday, August 27, 2006

Lately my highschool classmate and good friend Dianne Dominguez have been chatting and updating each other on our lives. I found out that she. a registered dentist, still has been having problems with what she really wants to do. she's in Canada now, and there's not much to do in Canada when you're not working or studying. And while she's still deciding on what to do, she's been hibernating at her aunt's house.

Aha. Even a professional, who at the start of college had some brilliant almost definite plans can be confused about her future. I thought this "indecisiveness" or should I say lack of options is only exclusively felt by media practitioners like me. Media is very broad --- you can be in TV, radio, advertising, events, what have you! It's because we mass communication graduates do not really have professional licences, therefore we can assume any position as long as it has to do with communications. The reason for not needing a licence is the very purpose or root of existence of this course --- freedom of speech. Journalism, broadacasting and so on and so forth are all tools for freely expressing one's self, or the truth, and a licence would just defeat this objective.

But after college I feel that no one else is defeated but us, products of the supposedly liberating experience of self-expression. And I feel so bad that I almost think it is completely OK to blame those people who drafted our curriculum for my fat ass. Yes, my fat ass. I took a job that doesn't do much for my communication skills, just sitting at my desk the whole time getting bigger by the minute, and I feel that I don't have any other choice. Where are the jobs?

Where are my skinny jeans?!

No comments: