Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Good morning Indians!

Right now one corner of our office is being renovated. The big ugly cabinets are being replaced by sophisticated magazine racks that don't take up too much space.

Idama, mostly Indians, is the team in charge of renovations and cleaning and of all of Dubai Media City and Dubai Internet City. They have a reputation for procrastinating, like it was their favorite sport (next to cricket of course). Now I'm watching them, rummaging through their toolkits, drilling holes in the wall, lifting giant shelves and tiptoe-ing, trying not to step on any magazine or newspaper that occupied most of the corner space. You really have to give it to them. They work very very hard and I bet they are not well compensated. And now I want to give them water or tea with milk (I think that's an Indian favorite), but I can't even bring myself to look them in the eye. I'm afraid that if they smile at me I'd just burst into tears. How can some peoplve live like this? Working all day, sometimes out in the sun at 50 degrees, and receiving only enough for them not to die of hunger?

This is something I am not sure how to deal with, but well, ok, I'll smile at them on their way out.

No comments: