Tuesday, March 06, 2007

WEIRD THERAPIES

This week I’ve been so stressed out and found out that reading helps only for a certain period of time. So at work and at home I’ve tried doing some things that surprisingly killed my boredom, stress and a little bit of the paranoia I’ve had and denied for quite some time now.

Try them, they might work.

 Cleaning the bathroom. The other night after dinner, after 3 plates of rice and sinigang na manok and apple crumble with vanilla ice cream, when Sherry and Jen left, I felt so bored but restless and I had no idea what to do. A little voice inside me told me to get the disinfectant under the kitchen sink, fetch the mop downstairs, remove my pants and raid the toilet. And so I did. I scrubbed every single corner of the bath and the bidet and the sink and the toilet and the bathroom floor, and rinsed everything. I took a whiff of the disinfectant with a feeling of fulfillment , put my pants back on, and had a cup of tea before bedtime.
 Scrubbing the bottom of a pot. That’s what I got for allowing the rice to burn and allowing myself to eat burnt rice --- a relaxing pot-scrubbing session. I took the challenge of scraping off the black stuff at the bottom of the pot I used while dancing to the tune of Snoop Dogg and Akon’s I Wanna Love You. Better than doing pot. Possibly.
 Printing. Documents, information on events, guests’ profiles, contact details, anything I can find on the internet, in the folders, in my emails. Thirty minutes of hitting the print button non-stop and fetching the warm papers from the printer. It felt sooo good. I didn’t care if I was wasting paper or ink. Me first, and then the environment. That’s the inconvenient truth.
 Watching old music videos on YouTube. Carly Simon’s Nobody Does It Better from the James Bond movie The Spy Who Loved Me really made me feel cozy. Not that a spy actually loved me. But I felt much better than that. I don’t need spy. I need a drunken French guy from Sharjah.

Hoping to discover more therapeutic activities. Quick fixes for sudden anxiety. Amen.

No comments: