Monday, November 13, 2006

episodes

"No episode is a priori condemned to remain an episode forever, forevery event, no matter how trivial, conceals within itself thepossibility of sooner or later becoming the cause of other events andthus changing into a story or an adventure. Episodes are like landmines. The majority of them never explode, but the most unremarkable ofthem may someday turn into a story that will prove fateful to you." -Milan Kundera, Immortality

I agree with Kundera.
An episode is a casual encounter, a spur-of-the-moment rendezvouz, anincident that occurs and ends itself.
But upon ending, however abruptly, it can create a lifelong theme in someone's life.
It can leave behind a lot of unsaid words, unexpressed feelings,unanswered questions and unforgettable memories.
It can make or break you.

Episodes.
I smile when I recall several episodes in my life.
I don't think they ever go away just like that.
I have a library of all the episodes in my life.
When I listen to a certain song or watch a certain movie, or smell a familar scent, I retrieve an episode from my mind and remember everything about it.

Nostalgia.
I beleive it's a gift that episodes leave behind when they end.But nostalgia comes once in a blue moon.
It's a uninvited but welcome guest we met once in a place we are never going to visit again.
Well, I'm thankful for this gift.
It's one reason to smile, and think that you never really lose in life.
You just gain more and more reasons to smile.

Forward, always forward.

No comments: