Tuesday, February 06, 2007

the pursuit of happYness


Last night Fifi and I watched The Pursuit of HappYness, and it moved me to tears. I canNOT believe there were men out there who really followed their dreams, no matter what, under the most difficult circumstances.

It was also nice of Fifi to invite me. We hadn't gone out together since September, and it just felt nice to have a chat with her again. Not without my nasty comments about her boyfriend of course. I still hate his face and that will never change. But Fifi has been a friend since we were boisterous fifth graders, and it's safe to assume that it's still possible for us to catch up after several months of silence.

Anyway back to happiness. Isn't everyone in pursuit of it? Surely at least someone must have gotten what he wanted? Is that enough to make him happy?

I don't always get what I ask for. But I guess I've become more positive and can turn things into blessings. My job is definitely a blessing. Guillaume is definitely a blessing, My Dubai friends are definitely a blessing. And my presence in Dubai is a blessing. And if you put it that way --- that I get so many blessings without even doing much to shape my destiny --- it's more than enough to make me happy. Happiness is really subjective, if you think about it.

At 3 in the morning Guillaume called me wanting to chat. I felt like going to Sharjah and strangling him. I was fast asleep and I could have sworn I was even snoring until my phone rang hyterically. But the minute I heard his voice and his extra-sweet "How are you?" I just had to entertain him.

Now that's happiness.

And in a few hours it was magically converted into sleepiness and struggling to keep my head up at my desk in front of the computer.

Office time. Bye!

No comments: