Wednesday, February 14, 2007

the barbecue



Last night we had the much awaited barbecue night with Guillaume and Emmanuel, and I thought it was great!

After work I dragged Fifi to Carrefoure to shop for some bread, corn and chicken skewers. I went home to find Guillaume and Emmanuel waiting outside the villa. They brought a cake, which Fifi “guessed” was black forest, and she turned out to be right! Yolanda made Greek salad, which was lovely. Fifi and I boiled some corn and convinced everyone it was a dish, and finally, most importantly, Colin was in charge of the barbecue. Craig did a good job entertaining the boys with beer and smokes. Carolyn was unusually quiet, tired from work, maybe.

We teased Craig about liking Shakira and Michael Jackson and Madonna and he was very responsive in a sarcastic way. Guillaume constantly teased Fifi about her tasting the cake before dinner. Emmanuel was amused with Fifi, because she was really funny last night, and given that she didn’t have much energy, she really tried to socialize and be fun. I thank her for that. I like my flatmates because they were nice and happy and really took the time and made an effort to get to welcome Guillaume and Emmanuel.

I really appreciate Craig’s concern as well. When Guillaume and Emmanuel left we walked to the shop for some cigarettes and he gave me a piece of advice about relationships. Don’t lose my heart, know myself, be strong to the point where I’m so sure of myself that nobody can shake me. And I think that was very sweet of him. That was something that really pulled my feet back on the ground, and I have to make sure that they remain there until I am absolutely sure that he’s serious and for real.

So it turned out (like it always does), the highlight of the evening was not Guillaume, but myself.
For me anyway.

No comments: