Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Happy Thoughts

Happy thoughts are a quick fix to a long face.
And so I resolve to daydream until this ugh feeling goes away.
I have a bank of happy thoughts that go back to my childhood.
So let me think my way back to happiness with random memories.

My toy Totoy. He's not with me anymore; I gave it to my friend Kat. But he made me the happiest woman in the world when I was 23. And I swear when I go back in December I will get him back and we will have a blast!

Valentine's day at the local gaybar with the Pinks. How about guys in thongs dancing to Mickey?

That looong karaoke date with Ria back in 2005. We rented a whole room at Music 21 on Jupiter Street, and we had shitloads of Red Horse and pika pika, from 9 PM to 6 in the morning. It was like a whole shift. I finished my meager salary on that fateful night. We welcomed the morning with a bottle of Chocolait from 7-11, and headed home unbelieveably tired, but happy.

Karaoke with the very best of Kiko Machine at Nard's, a small bar on Panay Avenue. I crawled back to the ELJ building to have a pa-morningan snack of goto, but I created my own goto in the toilet by throwing up everything I had eaten that day. The guys got me a cab and upon reaching home, our maid pushed me to the toilet, where I submerged myself in a big drum. I woke up naked in my own bed and had to come up with a stupid explanation to Mama Becky. One that would not make her NOT proud of her first born.

Slapshock groupie days. We followed a group of up and coming rockstars around Metro Manila, and it has got to be the most embarrassing period in my teenage life. We had to go through a lot to survive their gigs. We were tear gassed by security. Nikko drove on ESDA without a head - we all had to duck in the car so the band wouldn't see us stalking them. I brought Zoe (she was 5 then) to a gig and made her sing Agent Orange in front of Jamir. Then she got scared of Jamir's orange hair and Dahlsim-like body and started crying.

Beach holidays with my family. My aunts and uncles and cousins are crazy fun. I hope we can all get together some day for a big outing. My cousin Carlo pooped in the baby pool when he was 2 years old, and it sent all the kids running to their parents, petrified. Now he is 20 and doing well in school, heading the debating team and doing social work. Maybe he's helping kids not to poop in baby pools?

Me and Wyson. When I got lonely, I would just take a jeep to Wyson's house and she would cheer me up. With a song she learned to play on the guitar, with a funny story about her dad or mom, or with a joke about how my hair sucked. The last time we got together was in December. We had a few drinks and hung out at Gateway, and promised to still give the finger to the world.

No comments: