Sunday, April 08, 2007

a walk to the park

A walk in the park.
More like a walk to the park.
A long gruesome walk to the park.
Definitely not a walk in the park.
I walked all the way from my house (near the Fairmont) all the way to Safa Park on Friday noon.
I have no idea what came over me.
I just wanted to walk around aimlessly and see where my feet would lead me.
Also I wanted to do my groceries.
I just put on my rubber shoes and jogging pants and iPod and walked out of the compound.
The sun was killing me, burning my face and piercing my eyes.
But I went on walking until I was in the middle of Satwa, heading to Al Wasl, which I treaded for what seemed like an eternity.
I was sweating profusely.
Singing along with Mariah and Jacko and Beyonce and Gwen.
Doo doo doo doo doo doo.
La la la la la la.
Moderate walking, with my ever-reliable Dragon bag.
I walked one, two, three, maybe 20 km?
More. Definitely more.
I walked for one and a half hours.
For those who are in Manila and therefore have no idea how far I walked, it’s probably a Katipunan-Cubao type of pilgrimage. Diliman-Robinsons Galleria even.
I'm not kidding. Nor exaggerating.
I started at 12:45 PM.
So I walked and walked, stopped once to buy a bottle of water, and kept on walking.
On the pavement, around the flowers, crossing a petrol station, passing by laborers, tourists, expats, locals.
I reached Safa Park at 2:15 PM, and went inside Union Cooperative, the supermarket parallel to it, screaming more water.
I took a kart and walked around to buy the cheapest delicacies and meat and fruits and drinks in town.
I took a carlift home panting.
I took out my groceries and placed them in the fridge, in the shelves, in the cupboards.
And then I slept for three and a half hours.
It was the first time I slept like a baby in months.
No shit.
It felt sooo good.
So good.
I felt like a new woman.
I didn’t even do it consciously, but I did it and it felt good.
It’s an achievement.
Another achievement.
I’ll have to find out how far I walked.
And then I can boast of the number of kilometers I conquered and the amount of willpower I had inside me.
Will power. Control.

Take a walk from Fairmont to Safa Park.
Check.

No comments: