Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Hello God!

Before going out on a date this evening I had a brief online chat with one of my aunts. It was a short but very meaningful conversation, something that lingered on my mind even after we logged off. She advised me to keep on praying and not do anything she won't be proud of. So I was putting my gypsy outfit and applying the usual shades of make up on my big fat face until my date came to pick me up, and I was still thinking about what she said. It was so simple, just commonsense really, but nevertheless it was the kind of thing I forget the most, so it was refreshing to have someone remind me about it, someone I truly trust.

I carried on with my date, and over three courses of fondue, we got around to talking about religion. On dates, I had always hidden the fact that my family, although never always together, prays together. I didn't quite like being thought of as a church girl or a Jesus fanatic. However this evening it was different. He said he was an agnostic, and under normal circumstances the talk about religion would just end with me nodding my head submissively. But I actually went the other direction, and I am so happy to have finally said it --- I love my God. I love Him for the world. I don't know if his name is really Jesus, or if he has a beard, or if he can really save my life, but I know that he listens to me, because when I turn to Him, I always end up feeling better and empowered. He is my God and no one else's. He's the kind of friend who doesn't really answer me but I can feel his support in so many levels. And towards the end of my little speech, as the chocolate fondue hardened, my date flashed a bright smile of genuine acceptance.

We went for a walk and talked about other things, like rock pools and water beds and the Moulin Rouge and Bawadi and desalination plants. We didn't go back to religion, but my faith stayed where it was. I may not be the kind of person who shows how I worship my God, but I truly do and I want to explore our relationship rather than start one with a horny earthling. I'm not talking about my date, just men in general.

So anyway he took me home, and we thanked each other the nice dinner and conversation, we said good night, and I said hello to my God. I'm back on track and I'll try not to lose my way again.

No comments: