Sunday, October 28, 2007

In an attempt to think more clearly and without the influence of alcohol, I stayed in bed all Friday until it was finally time to get up and socialize.
It took me ages to find a taxi, and I would never have found one if it weren't for my good old friend who, despite depriving me of vanilla ice cream and a nice afternoon by the beach, was dependable in times of desperation.
I was an hour late for the bean bag night out with my officemates. Hoda and Ussama were there, and then Anjjelo followed. A few drinks, and the live band's performance made the evening a relaxed one. By midnight I had managed to drag Anjjelo and Ussama to the karaoke bar for more drinks and a few songs.

I found out from the waitress, now one of my trusted friends, that he had left an hour ago. And he was all alone. That was the break I needed. It would have been the easiest way to chat him up without looking like a tart. He was there, I was there, the place was practically empty and it was almost logical to talk to each other. But no, I had to be stupid and wander around Dubai, to a place other than my first love.
Ok so I missed him, by sixty minutes. While I was having a bland vodka cranberry, he was by himself at the bar, trying to have fun even without his mates.
But I decided not to worry about it too much. Perhaps we were not meant to know each other better. Maybe the stars just prevented another heartache, another unnecessary disappointment that would lead to the fall of my self-esteem. And believe me it would take an army of cheerleaders and loads of beauty products and treatments to boost it again.

So I almost surrendered by feelings to fate. If it's not meant to be,
khalas. It's fine. There will be more men out there, maybe cuter, or friendlier, or more compatible with me. And I let fate win, without even throwing a punch at it.

There was something else going on simultaneously with that Me VS Fate episode. There's this guy who found me randomly and wanted to pursue me. Most of the things that come from his mouth are the usual let-me-love-you stuff, and I bet he thinks of me as a me-love-you-long-time girl. He has some very good qualities I'm sure, but I have yet to discover them. I don't even know if this person is serious. He probably calls a dozen girls and just wastes their love away. But there is no harm in saying yes to dinner. I'd rather go on a dinner date that would predictably flop than sit alone either at home or in the office as the evening drags along. And a dinner date is an excellent way to find out if you are both on the same mental wavelength. Never mind his sincerity, that can be judged later on. I believe that once two people have discovered that they have the same thinking about life and humanity and love and other universal things, previously unknown feelings arise and the possibility of affection suddenly enter the picture. So let me see. And if fate plays a part again.. oh well it's a clever sonuvabitch, so I guess I'll have to just agree with what it wants.

And no, I am not tired yet. After three relationships and a few assholes, I am still alive and kicking and willing and able to participate in what I'd like to think as the quest for the perfect karaoke and life partner. And I know I will not find him tomorrow, and I might find a few unfit souljas before he comes along. Well, bring it on. I have so much to give, and I have so much energy to keep the fight. I am just a few days over 25. My eggs aren't even ripe yet and my breasts are still perky (these small bumps can't possibly sag), and I don't need a facelift yet, thank you very much.

I guess I just want to express my eagerness to meet new people and get to know them better. It's challenging. It keeps me alive, it excites me, it adds spice to my life.

No comments: