Sunday, August 19, 2012

Quick Fixes for a Stubborn Tummy

Constipation is nothing to be ashamed of. It's normal. It happens to everyone.

It's the symptoms that are awfully embarrassing and can ruin your life.
Bloated? Not fitting into your dress on the day of your friend's wedding can make you a grumpy bridesmaid. 
Belching at a romantic dinner can drive a potential mate away, and will crush your dreams of eventually becoming a bride yourself.
And since being clogged up is sometimes manifested through irritability, severe constipation will possibly drive your friends away, at which point you can say good bye to even becoming a bridesmaid.

Constipation ruins lives. So stop it with these tried and tested quick fixes that I swear by:


Isabgol seeds were first introduced to me by Sonia, my former executive producer at my old job and a very good friend of mine to date.

It works every time. Mix two heaping teaspoons of this stuff with lukewarm water and drink. The taste is not unpleasant, but it's no mojito either.
The texture is similar to that of raw sesame seeds, and it smells like plants.

Drink the concoction at night. Pinch you nose, close your eyes and imagine you are in the middle of a lush garden when chugging it down.

Wake up the next morning and reap the rewards in the toilet.
For months I walked past the yogurt section in the supermarket because I went dairy-free last February. That was my sacrifice for Lent. It turned out to be a brilliant thing for weight loss and overall health, but now I am opening my door (or gut) to one dairy product:

Fat-free yogurt. Fat-free, organic, with as little sugar as possible. It restores balance in the gut flora by releasing good bacteria or probitoics. It's very similar to Yakult, which has lactobacillus. But Yakult is way too sweet for me to have every day. Bad bacteria feed on sugar, so you don't want too much of it.  Onken's sugar content is negligible, and this big tub lasts days. 

Have it with some Ryvitas or your favorite fruit.


Need I say more? Many are familiar with the benefits of green tea. I honestly thought it had no effect on me, but I kept drinking it anyway to keep me full and stop me snacking on butter biscuits and sea salt chips.

This Ramadan, I had to temporarily kick my 5-cups a day tea habit, and noticed a big difference. 

It could be a psychological thing, it could be for real. But my digestive system seems to love green tea so I will keep drinking it.



Many people swear by this. And it does work if adopted as a morning ritual. Lemon and warm water is a healthy way to start the day. It supposedly eliminates toxins from the day before before they build up and make you sick. And it's loaded with Vitamin C.

Fifi, Sonia and Gwyneth Paltrow do it.

I sometimes forget to, mainly because we sometimes don't have lemons. Back home, where lemons are scarce and costly, I use calamansi. I love it. Drinking warm calamansi ale is never a chore for me.

Okay so there. Four natural, cheap and easy solutions to end constipation.

Yours truly, 
The Poop Expert

No comments: