Saturday, August 25, 2012

How to De-Stress (Without Spending A Fortune)

I've managed to look for ways to relax without spending money.
I realized that having less money adds to my stress, so I had to stop crazy-purchasing useless stuff or going out to buy myself an expensive cup of coffee just to have something to do or somewhere nice and quiet to hang out at.
These are some of the things I do to ride my body and mind of stress, and the best part?
They're all free of charge.
Or very, very cheap.

1. Get a plant and take good care of it. Liam and I have three plants, and one of them, Burnie, needs constant watering and lots of sunlight. I water it every day and it's so amazing to see new leaves crawling out of the stems. I love it. It was less than a foot short when we got it from an obscure plant shop in Satwa, and now it's grown over two feet high. Knowing that I am nurturing a living thing and keeping it alive and healthy makes me feel good.

2. Keep a journal. I've kept a diary since I was eleven years old, and it's done a good job at keeping me sane, stopping me from saying nasty things to people I despise, and holding on to the millions of deep, dark and embarrassing secrets I've accumulated over the years. It's extremely therapeutic. It's just like having your own shrink, but it won't talk back, which is in many ways a plus. Don't worry about getting your grammar right or writing beautifully. Just let rage, desire, humor, or whatever it is you're feeling glide smoothly on the pages of your new diary.

3. Make a list of things to do. It's a very helpful thing, especially if you're feeling overwhelmed by all the tasks you need to do all at once. It can range from simple errands like buying a detergent or important reminders such as renewing your car's registration. Stick to the list, and every time you accomplish an item on it, cross it out. It's one of the best feelings in the world. It's improving your life one task at a time.

4. Block out a few hours to make time for your very own home spa session. Here's a great set of treatments that doesn't require you to go out and buy beauty products or tools to get your spa on:

Facial scrub - a teaspoon of brown and a few drops of extra virgin olive oil. The sugar will exfoliate and get your skin to glow, and the olive oil will moisturize it.

Face mask. Oatmeal. One tablespoon of any kind of oats, mix with hot water. When it's cool enough to put on your face, do it.

Hair mask. Massage it with olive oil and rinse.

Foot spa. Dip your feet in a basic that contains warm water and two to three green tea bags for 30 minutes. Watch TV, talk on the phone, have a nap. Chill. Then scrub with coarse salt and a few drops of extra virgin olive oil, and rinse.

That's it. You're de-stressed and not broke. That easy.

No comments: