Monday, October 24, 2005

SINGLE-HANDEDLY HANDLING SINGLE THOUGHTS

Three years ago, I cringed at the conversation that my orgmates had about marriage. Two of them didn't want to ever get married because according to them, marriage was the start of agony in a relationship. Marriages don't ever work out, and they didn't want to end up misearble and unkempt, and find themselves wasting more than half of their lives in a pointless cycle of suffering.

I remember Vickie Miner (played by Janeane Garofalo) in Reality Bites, in her interview with Lelaina Pierce (Winona Ryder) for her independent film, saying that she doesn't want to get married because she doesn't want to end up like her parents. She's especially grossed out at the fact that her mother doesn't close the bathroom door anymore, and her father can see her taking a dump. She wants sparks flying, first kisses, first everything!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I always thought that it was my destiny to get married, have kids and aspire to be the president of the Parent-Teacher Association of Miriam High School. That was how my high school friends envisioned us, having coffee together on Katipunan Avenue and talking about how hardworking our husbands are, and how well our children are doing in school.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After my first relationship, which for the record was very promising of wedding bells, my perspective changed. The break-up hit me in the head and scribbled "LOSER" on my forehead. Nothing is ever final in this world, and therefore I shoudn't be expecting marriage or any long-term promises from any man.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So now I'm one of the realists --- or cynics? ---who choose to live their lives one day at a time, because of the fear that tomorrow, everything will turn out to be the complete opposite of their expectations. So yeah, right now, I'm so afraid of marriage. Not that someone has proposed or talked about it yet. Generally I'm just so scared of the thought of being tied down to something that in the future, I will dislike, get tired of, and get disilluisioned at.

I do not want to go through the drama of husbands and wives.
No lies and deceit, no throwing of furniture, no separation, no goodbyes.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"Marry Me" No Doubt

I can't help that I like to be kissed
And I wouldn't mind if my name changed to Mrs.
This is one side, my conventional side
An attraction to tradition
My vintage disposition
My sincere architecture
And I want to cook him dinner
But I'm more indecisive than ever
And who believes in forever?
Who will be the one to marry me?
A girl in the world barking up the wrong tree
A creature conditioned to employ matrimony
Crumbling continuity, I pick up the pieces
The ceremony makes me zealous
As the past quickly ceases
Fear from being neutered
I'm now prude, now defensive
Quickly I'm altered and tempted by new love only rented
Do you believe you'll marry me?
You might be the one to marry me
Back, looking back, looking back at me
I'm not how I used to be
Take me back, take me back into history
Diamond ring, tie me down just like it used to be
Who will be the one to marry me?
Who will be the one to marry me?

No comments: