Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Today I interviewed the "winners" of Quit and Win.
It's an incentive-based program for those who would like to quit smoking.
It went on for a whole month.
Can you imagine not doing one of the things you love for 30 days?
I can never quit anything I love.
I interviewed a young man who joined the program but didn't succeed.
He's a lawyer who, whenever faced with anything as challenging as a TV interview, has to have his cigarette fix.
So after talking in front of the camera about how hard it was to quit smoking, we rushed to the basement to have a quick smoke.
He loves smoking. So do I.
And that is why we cannot quit it at this point.
We love it.
If you love something (or someone), it is impossible to turn away from it and say goodbye.
And if you do it, you will end up coming back to it quicker than when you first tried it out.
You will get addicted even more.
And you will appreciate every single puff.
And that is why I never joined the program in the first place.
I know that cigarettes are something I really enjoy and cannot live without, and I am going to be very very sad if I quit just now.

Some of the things we love are not necessarily good for us.
If I keep on smoking like this then God only knows what could happen.
Millions of people have died because they do did things that harmed their bodies.
In short, they died doing what they loved the most.
In a twisted world, that is awesome.
Would you die for something or someone you love?
That is a very difficult question, especially for me.
I love myself too much and I hate it when I love too much because my love for a particular thing or person is essentially competing with my love for none other than myself.
Ayos ba?

1 comment:

Cecille Cruz Nepomuceno said...

Hi zin! youre right. difficult is even an understatement to describe the feeling of trying to quit on things/ persons you love.

And i admire the way you love yourself. I wish i can love myself better. that way i guess I can love life more.

miss u, zin.