Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Everyone is trying to save or earn more money. Everyone. Websites that used to headline stories about how to be a good partner in bed are now featuring too many stories on how to stretch a buck. Banks have been more aggressive, pushing people to spend in a less than obvious way. Yesterday the Aramex guy went through all that trouble to deliver a debit card from my bank, a piece of plastic that I am not using any time soon, simple because I have not asked for it. I know convenience is also one reason I was given a debit card, but it’s more convenient if I weren’t tempted to spend more knowing that I can pay for almost anything with a shiny blue plastic shoot.

A handful of currencies have increased in value because of the dwindling value of the greenback, but more are being affected by this phenomenon. My dirhams are worth only a little more than ten pesos, as compared to almost fifteen just two years ago. My food is more expensive now, and as much as I want to find myself a nice room, rent fees are climbing the inflation ladder faster than I can respond to any room-for-rent ad. Even watching a movie puts me off. I would rather spend a whole evening going on YouTube.

I don’t have a lot, but I have enough. I think I am good at managing my finances. I am a financial fundamentalist. Am I afraid to get ripped off by the bank? Yes. But more importantly, I am sticking to the traditional way of saving simply because I save more that way. The only time I’ve ever swiped a card in my life was when I had to get something from my friend’s hotel room years ago, and that was because keys were already outdated then.

No comments: