Monday, March 10, 2008

life's questions

I filed a story today and it felt good to officially finish work at 11:30 in the morning. I had two lunches, both with rice. I know, what a pig right? But yesterday I had nothing to eat for lunch because I was in Abu Dhabi all day working my butt off. But you know what? It feels weird not having anything to do. I didn’t even have to choose between stuffing my face and reading hilarious The Office quotes on the net. I did both, and it was okay! I didn’t neglect any task or forget to do something. I was literally done with work even before lunch! Tomorrow I am going to Abu Dhabi again for another kick ass story, and even though I love Abu Dhabi and would actually consider living there if a good offer came my way, I hate having to go on a long trip only to reach a destination where you’re supposed to start working. Long trips are for holidays, otherwise just slit my throat and stitch it up when we get there.

Oh and today I didn’t take a shower. Don’t ask me why. Not that I’m uninspired or anything negative like that, it’s just that I had five minutes to prepare and I didn’t want to be late. Ok, my carpool was late. Big time. I was standing in front of my building for five, six minutes trying to look cool and patient, when I could have spent that precious time shampooing.

Ok so back to the main idea. I think I am happiest when I am given something to do. A very important task, perhaps a full-day coverage of a local celebration. Or a feature on those 8-foot monsters who roamed around Global Village, getting people to have their pictures taken with them for ten dirhams. What were their lives like? Did they have to do that because their mothers were sick? Or were they wealthy children who decided to turn their backs on their parents and their wealth for the sake of freedom? Or do they just want fame and glory?

You know what, these are the questions we need to be asking ourselves. I've had time to do it, because I’m so good I finished work at 11:30 AM. So yeah, when you do have free time, you can puzzle yourself with life’s questions.

No comments: