Thursday, November 04, 2010

My Take on Destressing

Brides Magazine published a list called "16 Surefire Ways to Destress". I thought it was a lameass page filler, because I would never blow bubbles to pacify myself, nor would I organize my sock drawer when I'm upset. Check it out:

1. Organize your sock drawer
2. Blow bubbles
3. Check things off a list
4. Give yourself a pedicure
5. Dance like crazy in your living room
6. Count backward from 100
7. Head out for a hike
8. Inhale a calming scent, like lavender
9. Try out a new, complicated recipe
10. Go for a drive with the windows open
11. Scream into a pillow
12. Pet a cat or dog
13. Chew gum
14. Kickbox
15. Buy a new lipstick
16. Try on your dress!


I kind of have my own version, and it's more realistic, because these are the things that people I know actually do, and they seem to work. Plus, it's a must shorter list.


1. Curse. Sometimes I like cussing under my breath or in the car when I'm alone. Especially when it's loud and there's a particular person I'm cussing. And just now as I was Googling, I found out that my favorite destressing technique is actually backed by a legit study. Chekirawt:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/norfolk/7047536.stm


2. Get away. Whether it's out of the house, out of town or out of the country, a new environment always works. I prefer going back home to the Philippines, or somewhere nice and exotic (last year I had an awesome ten-day holiday in Kenya), or if I'm on a budget I go out of town with my friends. Our latest in-country "ekskarshon" was to Khorfakkan in Fujairah.


3. Pray. Whether it's reciting the Rosary or talking to God silently in the church, praying is a very effective stress-reliever for me. I usually thank God for all the blessings He's been giving me, apologize for not meeting His expectations, and ask for His help with my personal problems and the concerns of those who are dear to me.


4. Watch a funny video. I don't remember how many times a funny movie or YouTube video has saved me from killing myself. Or stress - more accurate. When I've had a long day at work and I don't have the energy to go out and meet up with friends or talk to them on the phone, a slapstick comedy or a short stand up clip always does the trick. Fifi and I were obsessed with Nacho Libre for a time. "Encarnacioooooon..." These days I'm hooked on Sarah Silverman's YouTube gags.


5. Talk. Just talk. If some people are really driving you crazy, talk about them. I do in the car on the way home from work. Alone. I usually do a Q&A with myself. Like I would ask myself "What makes (insert name) a douche?" and then I would answer, "Well, for starters, her breath stinks but she still talks like her words make the world go round."


6. Drive aimlessly. Works in this part of the world, where petrol is cheaper and traffic is bearable. I usually drive around and call people up, and if they're up to something that's interesting enough to make me get out of the car, I join them. Or I go to the mall and window-shop and eat ice cream.


7. Vino. Need I say more? If you'r all grown up and have bills to pay and a future to plan and you just want to take time off and clear your head until you are ready to carry on again, counting backward from 100 doesn't compare to a nice glass of wine. And quite frankly seems utterly useless. Booya.

No comments: