Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Kickass Day in Kathmandu

I've been working here in the Gulf for nearly five years, and have interviewed a number of prominent figures. Sheikhs, Bollywood super star Shah Rukh Kahn, actress Mandy Moore, English cricket star Freddi Flintoff and so on and so forth. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine meeting the Arabian Warren Buffett, the 19th richest person in the world, and one of the catalysts of change among women's role in Saudi Arabia. It's Prince Al Waleed bin Talal, chairman of Kingdom Holding.


So Danters and I were taking pictures in Kathmandu. Our first day in Nepal and we were already climbing over a hundred steps to see one of the capital's temples. And then there was a small crowd, and I checked out what was going on. There he was, casually waving at everyone, with minimal security surrounding him. I simply walked up to him and asked if we could take a picture together, and his short reply, "Sure," led to this:


People who are aware of the magnitude of his success and the amount of influence he has in the world that I was super lucky to have met him and taken a picture with him. Am I? Well...
I have mixed emotions. I feel extremely fortunate, but I also feel like it's just how I roll. So I am semi-modest and semi-super confident. Maybe that's why the prince and I get along? I don't know, you be the judge!

No comments: