Tuesday, November 08, 2005

NEVER TOO OLD FOR THIS!

Hanging out with high schools kids actually made me think about my own age. I am 23, and before my encounter with the Kiddieyapster bunch by the beach, I thought I was young and had a lot of things ahead of me. And i couldn't wait to conquer the world, I wanted to see already what I was "missing".
Turned out I was missing my teenage years!

Young fellows will be young fellows. -Isaac Bickerstaff
The guys we met were in their senior year in high school. They cussed, smoked and drank like men, but their white lies revealed their age. They would give us grown-up names, and after a few beers, would call each other by their real names. They would tell us about their life in "college", and they didn't even know what ACET meant. Yeah, Isaac. Young fellows will be young fellows.

No man knows he is young while he is young. -Gilbert K. Chesterton
I am young. I've been telling myself that since the night we met the boys. I want to be young. I want to be the class clown, have a magical prom night, cut class and organize a batch party. See my crush walk past my school, be happy with P50 in my pocket and dance in the cafeteria for kicks. Hmmm come to think of it, I can still do these things at 23. And that's how I really knew I was still young. Younger than you, I bet!

Youth is the best time to be rich, and the best time to be poor. -Euripides
It's the best time, period. A bitchfight between two classmates is always more fun to watch than an argument between two colleagues at work. When I was in high school, not having money meant hanging out at the cheapest canteen on campus, eating crumbs off the floor and drinking dirty sago gulaman while bantering with my friends. And having money meant... well, more food during lunch time. And that's the best thing that could happen when you're 16 and confined within the campus.

Youth is happy because it has the ability to see beauty. Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old. -Franz Kafka
When I was 16, I could appreciate a nice song. Now I can't finish a song on my iPod. Maybe because life as a 20-something is faster-paced, and as a result I've grown impatient. Make me 16 again, so I can memorize lyrics again, so I can learn chords and tabs patiently, so I can put up a band again and look forward to things other than earning money and trying to look young.

Well, youth is the period of assumed personalities and disguises. It is the time of the sincerely insincere. -V S Pritchett
Yes. When I was sixteen I was a musician, a class president, a comedienne, a writer, a softball team captain, a campaign manager, a dog, a ball, a lesbian, a beggar, a talk show host, a balikbayan, a Goth chick, a groupie, a roadie, a stupid person, and the list goes on...
And each character I assumed had its moment, making it a novelty. And every form of dishonesty was fun and not a point against morality. Now, do something dumb or kickass and you either go to jail or be ostracized.

Youth has no age. -Pablo Picasso
I am not 23, after all. I am 16, I am 5, I am 18, depending on my mood. And now, I badly want to be 1. When you're 1, the chubbier you are, the cuter you get. You get all the nourishment you need and people sing to you so you can sleep.

I am young. I've always been. It just took me 23 years to realize it, thanks to our weird by but super fun encounter with the "cool" seniors!

1 comment:

purpleprincess said...

the ever youthful li'l zinzin! now i know i really missed out. hs boys! basta boys! hahaha! shet! i miss my hs days din. hs is hysterical!