Saturday, March 02, 2013

What I've Been Up To

The past few weeks haven't been easy, but they've been some of the most interesting ones I've had in my life as a grown up.

1. I had my first taste of the morning news shift. I actually got up at 330 am and was in the news room by 4:15 am. Waking up was painfully hard and being on the job half-asleep caused me to commit a few minor mistakes that I took very seriously and lost sleep over. But the big pay-off was being able to read the news and having people recognize my voice. A lot of people listen to the radio in the morning, so I consider the AM shift a great one.

2. I did my first live studio bit! It was nerve-wracking and a great cure to constipation, but I got through it and I sounded fine. I did it again the next day and I sounded more confident. It was awesome.

3. I made peace with the fact that the peso is getting stronger and it's not going to slow down any time soon. That means I just have to lose some money every time I deposit some to my Philippine bank account. It's just how things are at the moment, and I just have to look for a different strategy for saving and making my savings work for me.

4. I made two dishes that L actually ate. I made chicken breasts stuffed with a feta and herb mixture, and good ol' tacos. He ate both, and helped himself to seconds and thirds. Those were moments that cemented my place in the domesticated women's recipe club. I intend to stay in it, so I'll keep on cooking.

5. My mom and sister finally discovered Skype and we've been Skyping for two weekends now. They've been showing me pictures of me and Fifi when we  were in grade school and high school. Wow. We look a lot better. Thanks to threading, waxing, facials, workouts, makeup and the fear of growing old as spinster best friends.

All in all, it was a good February. I predict March will be even crazier, but nothing's too crazy for a person with a crazy name.

No comments: