Wednesday, September 12, 2012

E-Gate is the only thing I believe in

The UAE E-gate card is the single most important thing in your life if you are a Dubai-based expat and travel at least twice a year.


Not having to wait in an immigration queue is one of the most wonderful experiences ever. I shelled out a little over 200 dirhams for my card, and in return, it gives me lots of time to wander aimlessly in any of the terminals at Dubai International Airport. I can shop for books, have a coffee, walk as slowly as possible, and so on.

It also preserves whatever airport look I'm going for. I put a lot of effort into making myself not look like an illegal immigrant whenever I am traveling. I think it's a must, in this judgmental society and in the airport environment, where profiling is an acceptable way to enforce security. Aaaanyway, falling in line and waiting and walking around and panicking make me look harassed. With my E-gate card, I breeze through the whole immigration process by saying hello to a small machine. Boom! Illegal immigrant look gone forever.

GOT THIS PHOTO OFF WWW.GULFNEWS.COM
In addition, my precious card put an end to airport diarrhea, a unique condition I have. It is usually caused by nothing but unfounded guilt. Nothing can destroy my stomach more than a stern look from an immigration official. I have never committed an offense (unless airport diarrhea is a crime), but I go crazy when someone gives me a look that says, "I'll get you. Just you wait".

Aaanyway, my E-gate card is the best!

No comments: