Thursday, December 31, 2009


Happy new year everyone!
I decided to end 2009 and start 2010 by retaking history class through the excellent writing of Stanley Karnow. I didn't know Philippine history could be so interesting.
In Our Image is indeed a trip down memory lane, when Cory and democracy were the rage.
It seems that the two are making a comeback these days, and the evidence is printed on the shirts of mallrats who weren't even born yet when EDSA happened.
"The Filipino is worth dying for."
"Ninoy for President."
"Your vote counts."
So I wanted to find out why this is so, among other things.
Manila is indeed a complex city that you cannot describe in one word. Not even a sentence.
Even after 27 years of witnessing its evolution, I still can't believe it's come to this -- brimming with life in some parts, and impoverished beyond belief in others.
Shopping is definitely part of our culture.
Not to mention tambay.
And even though mine is scattered all over the world, family is still number one.
We are narcissists and friendly faces, meandering on the streets filled with smog and pleasantness.
We are conservative and audacious, leaving our family to see the world and seek a better life.
I can go on and on to illustrate how complex my peeps are, but I intend to just end this now by saying that the only thing that runs this city is the over-flowing love that we have for one another.
That I know, but the thing that stirs my curiosity is the series of events that led us to where we are today. And the answer lies in centuries of colonial rule and - as a result - a web of contradicting values and cultures that are now present in one great place I call home.
Karnow is a great teacher.
He answers my questions day by day, page by page.

No comments: