Saturday, January 25, 2014

My first book review (ish)

I'm currently reading Fear of Flying by Erica Jong, a book that for the last three decades or so have been recommended by feminists, adventurous women, all-female book clubs, and girls who thought it would change their fellow girls' perception of themselves, their sexuality, their relationships and their goals. That it's a must-read is the word on the street.

So after years of failing to get a copy and instead reaching for Gone Girl, Sellevision and other more recent titles from book stores' shelves, I finally got around to it. I kicked off the year thinking this novel would wake up something in me that had been sleeping the whole time I wasn't reading it.

I'm on page 189, and so far, it's been an enjoyable read. I spend over an hour in the bath reading a few chapters at a time, excited to know what she's finally decided on, and how things will end up for the men she's attached to.

But I must say, at this day and age, nothing in the book has succeeded to surprise me. The fact that she wrote it in the 70's, when women went to great lengths with a single goal in mind: empowerment, sexual or otherwise is deeply impressive. The problem with reading it in 2014 is, the shock value, which in some ways is highly instrumental in getting the message across, is simply not there anymore. I've seen too many movies, heard too many stories, and witnessed real-life situations that would put Isadora Wing's should-I-stay-or-should-I-go plot to shame.

But then again, I've got over a hundred pages left to flip, and the story can still take a turn and take me places I've never been before. So we'll see!

No comments: