Friday, January 21, 2011

Here's a treat

I cooked twice today.
Sue me fore being such an achiever.
Okay.
This morning I didn't want to wake my friend up, so I sneaked out to buy some ingredients.
An hour later, we were enjoying a fresh batch of vanilla cinnamon french toast and mushrooms sauteed in cayenne pepper.
So we lounged around like retired businessmen, Facebooking and watching The Lonely Island music videos while the drizzle took its time and flooded our neighborhood.
(Poor drainage, poor people.)
Come evening, I still had some energy left, which I spent grocery shopping and doing some magic in the kitchen.
While watching the awesomest Old Testament parody movie ever - Year One, starring Jack Black and Michael Cera - I effortlessly whipped up two to-die-for (there is NO room for modesty here) treats: French onion soup paired with baguette slices drowning in Gruyene nad parmesan cheese, and stir-fried orange beef with cashew nuts.
Cooking brings out the subservient Asian girl in me.
But I don't take comments lightly.
If you say that my culinary creation needs a bit more salt or reminds you of another dish, get ready to hear from a tiger (also from Asia).
I guess my defensiveness in the kitchen stems from the fact that I spent most of my womanhood trying to avoid cooking because I didn't want to disappoint myself or the people who would partake in my meals, and now, finally I am crawling out of my cave called Kitchiphobia (yes, I made that up, dork), so no one rain on my parade.
And I made it a point to tell everyone how I feel every single time I put on my imaginary apron.
And until now, not a single friend of mine has had anything bad to say about my salmon in grapefruit sauce, or my honey ginger chicken.
Go figure.

No comments: