Sunday, January 09, 2011

Complete Womanhood

Last year I had my fill of sumptuous meals, thanks to people like Ladybug, Galo, Jen, Mhykie, and everyone else who cooked for me.
I enjoyed taking a whiff of an elaborate dish being prepared by a good friend, and looking over their shoulder to estimate the time left til eating time.
Being handed a plate and cutlery was like being told "you deserve my time and efforts, so here ya go, chew away".

Not this year.
This year I am going to return the favor. Wink.
Why? I love my friends and I want them to see me not as a mere parasite who eats off their kitchen, but someone who is actually capable of creating something beautiful that will nourish them and fill their stomachs and souls. I made that up just now thank you very much.

Also I realized that even though I have two ovaries and hundreds (if not thousands) of eggs, I wouldn't 100 per cent feel like a real woman if I didn't know how to cook. God knows how many envious stares I gave my friends last year for knowing what coriander or a sherry looked like, and also knowing what to do with them. I wanted to quickly learn, but there's no such thing. We learn everything in this life. So I needed to start fast. I promised to start fast. (If you are a feminist and ready to kill me, well boo ya! This is how I feel and feelings are never wrong.)

So I started cooking.
A two-course meal for two very understanding guests - Fifi and Dante.
I made Beautiful Salad - spinach leaves, mandarin oranges, dried strawberries, walnuts and honey, balsamic vinegar.
And for the main course, I made Salmon Steak in Grapefruit Sauce. Good for the heart and not at all bad for the wallet.

Because I got good reviews for that Friday lunch, I volunteered to do another one next weekend. So I guess it's another successful venture for me. And it might delight you to know that my cooking skills are now happily sitting next to my eggs on a bench called "complete womanhood".

No comments: